Should You Buy A Home Now Or Wait?
Should You Buy A House Now Or Wait?
There are many factors to consider when deciding whether or not now is the right time for you to take the leap from renting to purchase your first home. Weighing these pros and cons will help guide your decision-making process so that you can make an informed choice about buying or holding on for just a little longer before committing.
Here Are Some Pros And Cons To Look At When Deciding Whether To Buy A Home Now
- Pro: If you have the means to buy a house, it's probably a good time now. Mortgage rates are still low, home prices are rising, and the real estate market is hot
- Pro: You could end up paying less per month than renting over time because mortgage interest rates are lower than rental rates
- Pro: You'll have more control over your living situation than if you were renting; it's easier to make changes that suit your needs, like painting your bedroom a fun color or landscaping the backyard
- Pro: Buying means never having another landlord! Plus, homeownership usually comes with lower monthly bills than rent because utilities like water heaters and electricity run through meters instead of being included in rent payments
- Pro: Mortgage interest and property taxes may be tax deductible
- Con: If something breaks down while you own your place, chances are that any repairs will cost money out of pocket because they aren't covered by insurance, like at an apartment complex where other people pay maintenance fees each month
- Con: You may pay more for a mortgage than rent; however, the equity you build makes the trade-off worth it overall
- Con: Requires upfront costs for a down payment, closing fees, etc.
- Con: You may have to pay for HOA fees depending on where you live
- Con: Buying a home is a long-term investment and requires time and effort to sell if you want to move
Should I Wait To Buy A House?
While weighing the pros and cons above is certainly important, there are other factors to consider before deciding to purchase a home, or wait.
Waiting can be beneficial for many reasons, but there are also some drawbacks you should be aware of:
- You won't know whether or not the market will soar or plummet—you may end up paying more than expected if there's a boom while waiting or less if there's an economic downturn while waiting
- Rents will only increase. A new report from Redfin shows that nationally listed rents for available apartments rose 15% from a year ago. And the median listed rent for an available apartment rose above $2,000 a month
If you’re considering buying a home, a few factors will help you decide how long to wait:
- The first thing to consider is your savings. If you don’t have enough money saved for a down payment and closing costs, it might be best to wait until those funds become available before purchasing your dream property
- Next, think about your financial stability and credit score. Will a monthly mortgage payment be realistic for you?
Renting has its benefits. Renting may be more affordable than buying at this point in time (or even in the future). Renting also provides flexibility since you can move when needed — no need to worry about selling the house first!
Conversely, buying a home is one of the most significant financial decisions you'll ever make. It also has many hidden costs that you must consider before purchasing a home. A home's costs include mortgage interest, property taxes, maintenance costs, insurance, and HOA fees. Even still, homeownership is typically a smart investment. A home can appreciate over time, and it may increase in value enough that you can sell it and make money on your investment. Many of the incidental costs of homeownership are also tax deductible. Additionally, homeownership gives you control over the design and look of your spaces and may help you avoid the cost of living fluctuations that comes with renting.
To make your decision, review the pros and cons of homeownership, understand how market variations could impact you down the road, and thoroughly review your finances.
Are you ready to buy a house? This is probably the best time if you can afford it.
Learn about VA home loans to get the best rates and loan programs available.